Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gusto Camp - Insider, Outsider

Why did I put Insider, Outsider as the title?

I happened to be in a very special position in the camp, shuffling between various roles. This means that I'm not really "involved" in any fixed groups. But this is also a rare opportunity to see the entire camp from another perspective.

As the programmes IC for the Bukit Timah trek and beach games, the first thing I learnt was how to develop games for the students. I must say this is a challenging role and there is still much room for improvement. Being involved in planning and conducting allowed me to learn from the other volunteers the importance of engagement, how the success of the camp is strongly influenced by this rule. Without this, no matter how well-executed the plan, how "great" the lessons to be learned, it is very difficult to connect with the students.

Other than doing programmes, I spent the other half of my time moving across groups as a roaming facilitator (Last Man/Sweeper). This is a good chance for me to get involved with the different groups and get to see "real-action" that as a organising committee rarely get to see. The trek was great and it is indeed heart-warming to see students helping out each other along the way, carrying each other's bag and sharing the limited water supply.

I personally learnt a lot from this camp, and yes, even though I often say I wanna "test" the students, I'm not trying to put all my pyschology stuff into them. haha. Do not mistake me as some weird fellow. I believed the best way for these students to learn is through direct exposure. Every new lesson they learn will go a long way in the future.

Rather than being passive in the camp, putting them in situations "unwillingly force" them to be more proactive so that they can learn more. I prefer to groom potential leaders, and I truly believe there's one in everyone :)

-choonpeng-

No comments: