Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How to Beat the 3/5/7 Year Itch

I heard a comment from someone during the camp that got stuck in my head: "I got so discouraged by what the kid said that I felt really like quitting from this camp".

Why am I talking about this now? Reason being: this goes to the root of why each of us decided to volunteer. Obviously all of us have our own reasons. Some wanted exposure to students of that particular age group, some wanted to give something back to society, some have a streak of sado-masochism, while others have nothing better to do during the weekend... (that's me... lol).

Whatever our individual motivation, all of us would encounter periods of "downturn", when turning up for the weekly session is a pure punishment. After all, even the stock market has its ebb and flow, period of hot and cold.

Among those who have volunteered for a while, we have a saying that volunteers have the equivalent of 3/5/7 years itch. These are periods where the volunteers would be sick of volunteerism, but once they crossed these periods, they generally would stay for a while longer.

What are some additional motivations that may help?

1. Seeing past students of Club Gusto maturing and joining Club Gusto as volunteers. I am very proud of these students who are back to help out with Club Gusto. This photo simply says it all...

2. Seeing the smiles from the current batch of students.

3. Seeing the smiles from the volunteers.

JPG

No comments: